| 4 comments ]

I was in the waiting room at the Dr.'s office today, and the US Women's Olympic Water Polo Team was playing China on TV. This is the most athletic, attractive, healthy team of women I have ever seen. For those of you unfamiliar with the team, click this link to see a big, 1280x1024 size picture of the team:

US Women's Olympic Water Polo Team Picture

Here's a smaller, blog sized version:


These girls are noticeably more full-figured than the 'athletic woman' image that I usually see in the media.

If actual woman athletes don't look like the image the media shows, why does the media show it? Furthermore, why do we accept it? Why do women try to look like the Shape cover model, when these women are more attractive and in the Olympics?

I should apologize, for it's not just women. I think all male and female triathletes should take a lesson from these girls. Triathletes, from amateur to elite, focus on losing weight. Peter Reid, a male who has won Ironman Hawaii multiple times, described his obsession with weight loss as an eating disorder in What It Takes. Amateur triathletes often unnecessarily limit their calories in an attempt to achieve that athletic look.


here's Peter on the bike

These girls on the water polo team DOMINATED China's team. They're Olympians. I bet you they outweigh the cover models on Mens Health, too. And, they're smokin' hot!

Good luck girls. Trust that if I had a TV, I would definitely be watching!

4 comments

Libby Maxim said... @ August 12, 2008 at 2:22 PM

man this makes me feel good, i would say I am strong and fit

hey Frey, lost 3 lbs over the summer from all the biking

libs

Libby Maxim said... @ August 12, 2008 at 8:21 PM

frey

this post is very motivating, went out tonight and rode 25 miles with 8 fit chicks, all of us, not pencil thin but nailing those hills

thanks for the best post ever

libs

Anonymous said... @ January 3, 2009 at 7:23 AM

Hi Frey,

Just wanted to thank you...these women are completely SMOKING hot. I found your blog when I was surfing for inspiration about healthy body images. I am a 29 year old Australian female that does tri's and let me tell you the women that kick my a** every time look just like these polo players- not some runty model. Thanks for the awesome post!

Mel.

Frey said... @ January 3, 2009 at 8:50 PM

Hey Mel, glad you liked the post. Good luck with your training, and have fun!

Post a Comment