| 0 comments ]

With 2009 officially in the books, I've logged my last cycling miles for the season. The grand total is...


7,228!

Thank you, thank you. Looking back at the mileage log, I am proud to say that this is the most mileage I've had in any single season! In past years, I had...

2008: 6,771
2007: 5,868
2006: 4,337
2005: 1,039 (partial mileage)

2005 was my first year of cycling, and I made it until about August before I finally purchased a speedometer/odometer. I biked for a whole summer in Santa Barbara, CA without even know how far or fast I was going... can you believe it? I even went out and biked a century without an odometer.
.
Here's my in Santa Barbara, back in 2005.
Looking back at 2009, there are some rides and experiences that stand out as my GREATEST cycling moments from 2009. They are:

1) The PowerCranks - These are the independent bike cranks, meaning that pushing down on the left arm of a crank does not make the right side come up. You have to turn each arm on it's own, and it's damn hard. Here's a picture of my bike with the PowerCranks:


I didn't track my exact mileage on the cranks, but I estimate that between 2008 and 2009, I rode near 4,000 miles on these cranks alone. This includes a 57 miles PowerCrank ride on New Years day, 2009, and an 88 mile ride on March 29, two days before my 25th birthday. Here's a review with some pictures from a 60+ mile long ride that I did on the cranks.

2) Comeback from a Staph Infection and a DVT - In January of 2009, I took a DVT in my right calf, the second time in my life I've developed a thrombosis in my leg. Later, in August 2009, I developed a Staph Infection in my left knee, and I don't really know why or how I got that one. Both sicknesses were challenging in their own ways, but, as always, I came out on top.

The reason these sicknesses made it to my list is because I faced them, and I still managed to ride more miles in 2009 than in any season before. 7,228 miles would make an impressive season on it's own, but I managed it while almost dying, twice.
3) Bike commuting 50 miles, round trip, to the Tradewinds Independence Day Triathlon - On July 4, I biked 25 miles to Coconut Creek, FL, then I raced a sprint distance triathlon in which I average about 25mph for the bike leg, then I packed up my gear bag and biked another 25 miles home. That's how you dominate. Here's my race report.
In addition, I dominated several other local sprint triathlons. I did the 2009 FAU Wellness Triathlon in Boca Raton, FL, and the June 21st edition of the Key Biscayne Triathlon Trialogy.

4) Biking in PA with Libby - I have done a good deal of cold weather biking in Pennsylvania in recent months. Here's a picture of me and my mom ready for a cold ride:

Lib has her own blog over here: http://bikerchickswc.blogspot.com/. She tends to do a lot of ranting. Biking in PA has been a nice change to the riding, as it's very scenic and hilly here. Below is a picture that shows me out in farm country!

Here's to another great year!

0 comments

Post a Comment