| 0 comments ]

When discussing the opportunity for a given athlete to participate in a sport, the issue of an athlete's genetic limitations always arises. I am telling you now. Ignore genetics. They play such a small role in determining one's athletic abilities that it's not even an issue worth consideration.

I heard this argument from a friend on mine just the other day. "I wasn't cut out to be an athlete. My parents weren't athletes, and I just didn't have it in my blood. So, I never played any sports." This made me sick to my stomach. I can't stand this type of self-limiting, complacency, failed dreams, self-imposed dialogue.

It is true that genetics play a role in determining an athlete's athletic potential. This is, in part, because genetics determine the functional make-up of the musculoskeletal system. Things like bony make-up, muscle fiber type distribution, and tendinous insertion locations will all play a role in the athlete’s ability to develop comparatively high levels of force production/speed or endurance capacity.

But the point I am making is that most athletes never even come close to approaching their genetic potential in a sport. People just decide in their heads (for whatever reason) that their genes have limited them in some way, then go ahead living their lives based on this arbitrary decision.

Focused practice is what it takes to excel in any sport - not some genetic gift. Ask any successful athlete, and they will tell you that it's years and years of huge amounts of focused practices that has gotten them to where they are.

This is a foundational concept in one of my favorite books of all time: Bounce by Mathew Syed.



The underlying theme of the book is that EVERYONE can fulfill their dreams if they just keep at it, and find people to help them in the right direction. This is the case even in elite level performers that are considered “prodigies” in their sport or field. It always comes down to consistent, focused practice with the guidance of an experience mentor.

Don't believe me? Ask Wayne Gretzky...

“I wasn’t naturally gifted in terms of size and speed; everything I did in hockey I worked for. The highest compliment that you can pay me is to say that I worked hard every day….That’s how I came to know where the puck was going before it even got there.” -Wayne Gretzky (he played hockey)

The take home point is this: Suck it up. Work hard. Your only limitations exist in your mind. You have much more physical ability than you can even imagine.

0 comments

Post a Comment